Sunday 18 November 2012

Pink & White Cakes

The company I work for celebrated their fifth birthday in Finland and my manager asked me if I was interested in baking these cakes for the staff, as a thank you for all their hard work. The company opted for a pink and white look and the cakes were designed accordingly to match the theme. Other treats for the lovely girls at work included sparkling rosé, pink and white marshmallows just to name a few.


There were no other requirements apart from the colour, which gave me the opportunity to choose what kind of cakes to make. I wanted to make one chocolate sponge cake with a blueberry-raspberry mousse filling and one regular sponge cake with a fresh mango mousse filling. (my favourite of the two is definitely the chocolate sponge!)


The sponges for the cakes were basic 3 egg sponges with equal amounts of caster sugar and flour(+1tsp baking powder) measured in glasses. 
I whisked the eggs and sugar until pale and frothy, then gently folded in the sifted flour/baking powder mix. I baked them at 170degrees until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake came out clean. I opted to bake them in 18cm loose-bottomed cake tins to achieve a higher sponge.
Both cakes were sealed with butter cream and covered with ready-to-roll fondant. I dusted the logos with a little glitter too!;)





The fillings:

Blueberry-Raspberry Mousse

150grams berries
180grams cream cheese
0,5dl sugar
2dl whipping cream
5 gelatine leaves

Mango Mousse 

150grams mango (fresh or frozen)
180grams cream cheese
0,5dl sugar
2dl whipping cream
5 gelatine leaves

Both mousse fillings are enough to fill one 20cm cake in two layers. I ended up having a little extra after filling the cakes. Luckily my husband and kiddies were only too happy to have some for dessert!





I was very happy with the outcome of these cakes and chuffed that everyone at work liked the appearance and flavour as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment